Beef Brisket is one of the nine primal cuts coming from the lower chest. It is one of the toughest cuts of meat, but when braised slowly it can be the most succulent! This recipe can be prepared ahead of time and reheated later.
- 4-5 lbs Adena Farms Beef Brisket, fat trimmed
- 2 Spanish onions (for the slow cooker)
- 2 Tbsp Grapeseed oil (for the pan)
For the rub:
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted, cooled and ground
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, toasted, cooled and ground
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
For the sauce:
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 28 fl oz quality canned tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic, rough chop
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp chipotle in adobo, chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire
- Combine all ingredients for the rub
- Peel and cut onions into thick rings and set aside
- On a cutting board, lightly score the brisket, about ¾“apart (meaty side) then rub the spice mix all over. Prepare this a day ahead if possible and allow to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a blender and pulse until combined, also can be prepared ahead of time
- Layer onions over the bottom of a slow cooker on low
- Preheat a large pan (that fits the whole brisket) over medium heat. Add oil and sear the brisket well on all sides until browned.
- Place brisket on onions in slow cooker, fat side up, add sauce and cook for 9 hours until tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks, removing any fat that didn’t break down. Skim sauce of fat. If sauce needs to be further reduced to coat meat, simply turn on slow cooker and reduce until desired.
- Add meat back into slow cooker with sauce and stir well to combine. Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed. (Always season after reducing liquids).
If you don’t have a slow cooker you could use a large dutch oven and bake at approx. 300°F until fork tender