- (4 lbs) Bone-in Rib Short Rib
- (2) carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- (2) medium onions, peeled, roughly chopped
- (1) rib of celery, roughly chopped, with leaves
- (4) cloves of garlic, peeled
- (3) sprigs of rosemary
- (2 cups) red wine
- (2 cups) beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Season short ribs well with salt and pepper. Sear short ribs fat side down, until well caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove short ribs and deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping any brown bits.
- In a roasting pan (or dutch oven) ass all vegetables and place the browned meat on top. Then, pour over wine and beef stock.
- Cover roasting pan tightly with foil or lid and place into oven.
- After 2 ½ hours, check meat for separation from the bone and if it is fork tender. If it is, remove from the oven. If it isn’t, continue cooking.
- Remove meat and rosemary from the pan and set aside.
- Put vegetables and juices into blender and puree until smooth. Note: sauce will become slightly pale, accent your sauce with a tablespoon or so of mustard, molasses, BBQ sauce or you can darken with a touch fo Worcestershire.
- Pour sauce over meat in a roasting pan and put back into the oven to heat through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or pureed celery root.
You may also cool meat until manageable and pull apart meat with two forks and use as a brunch meal on top of French toast, or rolled in crepes topped with rich gravy and horseradish cream.