- (4-5 lbs) Whole Brisket
- (2) Spanish onions (for the slow cooker)
- (2 tablespoons) grapeseed oil (for the pan)
- (1 tablespoon) salt
- (3 tablespoons) cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- (½ teaspoon) cumin seeds, toasted, cooled and ground
- (¼ teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- (1 teaspoon) mustard seeds, toasted, cooled, and ground
- (1 teaspoon) smoked paprika
- (1) shallot, roughly chopped
- (1 28 oz can) quality canned tomatoes
- (5) cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- (2 tablespoons) apple cider vinegar
- (2 tablespoons) cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- (1 tablespoon) smoked paprika
- (2 tablespoons) Dijon mustard
- (1 tablespoon) chipotle in adobo, chopped (optional)
- (3 tablespoons) Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the rub.
- Peel and cut onions into thick rings and set aside.
- On a cutting board, lightly core the brisket, about ¾“apart (meaty side) then rub the spice mix all over. Prepare this a day ahead if possible and allow to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a blender and pulse until combined, also can be prepared ahead of time.
- Layer onions over the bottom of a slow cooker on low.
- Preheat a large pan (that fits the whole brisket) over medium heat. Add oil and sear the brisket well on all sides until browned.
- Place brisket on onions in slow cooker, fat side up, add sauce and cook for 9 hours until tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks, removing any fat that didn't break down. Skim sauce of fat. If sauce needs to be further reduced to coat meat, simply turn on slow cooker and reduce until desired.
- Add meat back into slow cooker with sauce and stir well to combine. Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed. (Always season after reducing liquids).
- If you don't have a slow cooker you could use a large dutch oven and bake at approx. 300°F until fork tender
Serve on tacos or soft buns with slaw or over fries. For a spin on shepherd's pie, use as the base instead of ground beef.